Friday, May 24, 2013

Five exercise excuses and how to avoid them.

1. I don't have time. This is always the most common excuse I hear and the one I used most as well. Simply put, you do have time. You make time to workout. Do you watch tv? Use that time to workout instead of rotting your brain away. There is not much good on anyway. Do you surf the internet? Some studies show people surf as much as two hours per day. Use that time to workout your body instead of your thumbs. The truth of the matter is we make time for the things that are important to us. Be sure to make time every day to take care of yourself.

2. Getting fit costs too much. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on workout gear. I get my workout clothes from the Goodwill store. For under $10 I am ready. Joining a gym is also optional. You can get plenty fit just by using the items around you. Your own body weight leveraged correctly will be plenty to help you start to change your life.

3. I feel self concious/everyone is watching me. This one is a little tougher. You must get over the fact that some people may actually be watching you. I say so what? Let them watch you. You are trying to make healthy changes to your body that may just prolong your life by years or even decades. It could turn out that you become the inspiration to someone so they can start on their own life changing fitness journey. No matter, either way you must continue even if a crowd gathers to watch you. You are there for you. Let nothing stop you.

4. I have done diets/fitness and it doesn't work for me. If I locked you in a room and didn't feed you, you would lose weight. Therefore, eating less DOES work when you actually do it. When you don't eat the foods you know you should eat and you skip your workouts of course they don't work. You may cheat in private but you wear the results of that in public. Eating less and moving more does work when you do it consistently over time. When you cheat, you are only cheating yourself. Fitness is like a marriage, you can't cheat on it and expect it to work.

5. I am too heavy/too out of shape to workout. Believe it or not, I hear this quite often. I would ask you how you expect to get in shape enough to workout with this kind of reasoning? Everyone starts somewhere. Maybe you can't do much because you are really out of shape but you can do something. If you can pass a DOT physical and drive you can do some exercise. As drivers our job is so sedentary we must be mindful to move our bodies to stay in shape. The job itself contributes to being out of shape so we have to work hard to counteract this. You may not be ready to run a 5K but you can move more than you are. Do what you can, where you are with what you have. You will be surprised how little time it will take to feel better.

Until our next meeting, be safe and healthy out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment